Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Through her eyes

We've all the seen the the type of movie where a guy and a girl seem irresistibly drawn to each other in the midst of a crowded room. Its as if their hearts and fates are somehow intertwined before their gazes ever meet. Destiny? Fate? Love at first sight?

I offer a different take on this same idea as I met the girl of my dreams .....
It was crowded maybe 60-70 people and the room a little larger than my living room, but i saw her almost immediately--her smile, her bright eyes -- i waited patiently for her gaze to meet mine.
It was an orphanage for victims of sex trafficking. The ages ranging from 5 or 6 to the middle upper teens, but the vast majority couldn't have been old enough for middle school yet. She was 11, her name was Urmila and she had already been living in the safety of the orphanage for nearly 2 years. Before that...a different story. I learned the children who were held captive in the brothels of northern Indian were forced to perform sexual acts no child should ever be exposed to in the neighborhood of 5-15 times a day. It broke my heart to look into these lovely little eyes, knowing the horrors of her past had ended only two years prior to our meeting. How could she even trust me, a westerner whom she had never met, when it was westerners that had often been her abusers such a short time earlier. I found my answer just a few moments later, even now it tough for my eyes to remain completely dry as I remember our conversation. We had journeyed through all our pleasantries and one question stands out. "Urmila what do you want to be when you grow up?" Her reply "A missionary.... because a lot of people need help." Her eyes for the first time revealed the pain of her past. Her heart was broken, for she knew better than I could ever know how bad her peopled needed Jesus. God as a Saviour was not enough they needed God as a FATHER. My heart had melted...

I wanted to remember her eyes, her smile, and even more her joy so I put a short clip taken from my cell phone camera....i just wanted you to see my first encounter with love at first site.




yes its a cell phone camera
yes i said nothing cool
but my hope is that you can remember the tens of thousands of Nepali girls who are still being enslaved in Northern India brothels.....they need a Saviour, they need a Father, they need our prayers
special thanks still needs to go to our 6 year old camera girl

want to know what her "flavorite" song was? Then comment

5 comments:

Lisa said...

DUH!! Yes I want to know what her favorite song was!!! But I think you already told me...

...this made my eyes leak...again...

Mallory said...

Ahhh she is precious!

Jennifer K said...

Jay, you have God's Anointing! on your life and walking the Narrow Path of your calling. I am Blessed to be able to call you a friend! Go with God! Looking forward to the rest of the summer and reading about your travels.

Candice BĂșn said...

oh my goodness...I'm so proud of you and my heart is both broken and restored by Urmila's story. God's faithfulness is amazing. i'm so glad you get to witness His hand as you travel. many blessings! love, can

Riva said...

Okay Jay you have an incredible talent with words, and this story totally broke me inside . . . she was so beautiful . . . i think i now understand love at first sight.